During these uncertain and complicated times, our focus continues to be on the health and safety of our team, our clients and our community. We understand this may be a critical time for your business and family and we are committed to supporting you.
Due to recent developments, including CDC guidelines regarding social distancing, we have made several changes in the way we are operating.
Yesterday we were informed that the spouse of an individual who tested positive was on the second floor of our building last week. The building has been thoroughly disinfected, including a mist to kill the virus, but we cannot be too careful.
Therefore, effective immediately, we are closing our office to the public and clients will no longer be allowed in our office. Please do not enter our building for any reason. This applies even if you feel healthy or believe that you are not at risk. If you have physical documents to provide to us, you may mail them via USPS, FedEx or UPS. You can also send us documents electronically.
Yesterday the IRS announced changes affecting tax returns and payments due on April 15.
The due date for income tax returns remains April 15. However, if you have not already received your personal return, we will file an extension on your behalf and you will then have until October 15 to file your return. We continue to work on returns and will complete as many as possible by April 15. Extending now ensures that you will have ample time to file regardless of any future government restrictions that may be imposed.
Most taxpayers can delay making payments of their 2019 income tax balance and their first quarter 2020 estimated tax payments until July 15. The payment delay is automatic and will not result in any penalties or interest. The payment delay covers all combined balances up to $1,000,000 for individuals, estates and trusts and $10,000,000 for C corporations.
Missouri has announced that they are following the IRS payment delay. Many other states have made similar announcements.
Current conditions and constraints require us to fully utilize extensions and the delayed payment date. While we understand that you may not be accustomed to filing or paying after April 15, this measure is necessary. Our team can work effectively from remote locations, but there are limitations. In addition, our team members must have time to take care of themselves and their families.
SFW has a strong business continuity plan in place and we plan to continue working on your projects and returns. However, changes to normal operations are necessary.
- Electronic transmission of documents is strongly encouraged, as electronic documents are easily accessible from remote locations. You may use email to exchange information that is not confidential. For confidential information or large documents, use our ShareFile system. If you need a link to our ShareFile system, contact your SFW representative.
- We will deliver tax returns and other documents to you electronically and through the mail. We highly recommend electronic delivery. Paper deliveries are likely to be significantly delayed.
- We recognize these methods of delivery and pickup are very different than they have been in the past. As always, we are here to serve you. Please reach out to your SFW representative with any questions and concerns.
- In place of meetings, we can arrange teleconferences, including teleconferences involving multiple people.
- A majority of our employees will be working remotely during this time. Our staff is accustomed to working remotely, have access to electronic files, and have the responsibility to respond to clients with the same timeliness as when they are in the office. If you need immediate assistance, please contact our receptionist and she will transfer you or send a message to someone who can help as quickly as possible.
We value your business and appreciate your continued trust in our firm. This is a challenging time and we remain committed to serving you.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your normal SFW representative or call our receptionist at 314-569-3333.